Fell down on knees and shins. Bruise, pain and swelling appeared on ankle. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on both knees and shins and especially my right leg is very tender on the XXXXXXX and my ankles are swollen an bruised looking although they did not get hurt in the fall. Lots of bruising and pain just below the knee and also about 5 inches down the XXXXXXX What should I do? It has been 8 days since the fall and doesnt seem much better.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The tenderness on the right leg one week after the injury may be due to a bone injury. This needs to be ruled out after an X-ray of the area.
The swelling and skin color changes is likely to be due to a hematoma in the area. Such swellings are usually self limiting and are mildly painful. In case there is no further increase in the size then doing a hot fomentation and taking mild pain killers will help in decreasing the swelling over 4-5 weeks.
You can self monitor the area for any redness, pain and sudden increase in the size which are indicators of infection in the area. In such a case a physician consultation is necessary for systemic antibiotics and to assess regarding the surgical drainage.
Wrap elastic bandage like crepe bandage at the site of pain and swelling. But don't wrap it too tightly.
If there is an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing then you need to consult an orthopedician for proper examination and management. Else, need not to worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.