Fell down on knee. Bruise appeared and feeling cold. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on my knee today when I slipped on some ice. My knee isn't particularly sore, but it's been consistently cold since the fall. There's a small bruise, but not as big of one as I would have expected given the impact. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
From the symptoms it looks like cold in the area is normal after skin trauma.

However it is important to rule out the formation of a hematoma in the joint or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray limb and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the area by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
In case there is a swelling and pain with an increase in the size of bruise then do consider visiting ER for an immediate evaluation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.