Fell down on knee. Bruise and swelling appeared. Should I get it checked?

7 days ago I fell on my right knee. I have a really bad bruise that is on either side of my kneecap around the back of my knee. The bruise is moving down my leg and causing my ankle to be bruised and swell. I have been icing it and elevate it when I get home from work. Right now half of my foot is bruised and really looks bad. There is a little pain, but I think it is associated with the swelling. Should I have this looked at?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I appreciate you for the measures you have taken like elevation of the limb.

A bruise can extend to some extent. But if this is extending from the knee to the ankle I suggest you to contact your doctor once for physical examination. Some times he may ask for basic investigations like platelet count or to detect any problems with blood clotting (if the physical examination findings suggest they are necessary). Some times certain drugs like Asprin taken to prevent clotting of blood for some other problem can cause a extended bruise like this.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics