Fell down on hip and lower back. Noticed swelling and getting sharp pain. Any solution?

Question
Hi. last week I tripped and fell while out running, hitting my hip and lower back on a protruding gate post in the process. The grazing is now healing, but I have a hand sized swelling that feels as if it has fluid inside it. Not too problematic, but I'm also getting a very sharp stinging pain in the area, particualry when I get up in the morning or have been sitting for a while. The stinging feels as if it's coming from the skin, not XXXXXXX inside. Any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blunt trauma can result in damage to the soft tissues or bone. In bony injury or fracture there would be significant constant pain, swelling,deformity and limitation of movement.
Soft tissue injury is damage to the skin or any of the other underlying structures such as muscle, tendons, connective tissue or fat cells.It would also cause pain and swelling and some limitation of movement. The pain should not be persistent and would occur more with movement.
The swelling that you notice is as a result of the body's inflammatory response to the trauma and as the area heals, fibrosis or scarring occurs in the layers of tissue that also may cause a swelling that is more firm in consistency.

The pain that is occurring not moving for a while is also likely as a result of the inflammatory process.Trauma to the underlying connective tissue would be aggravated by this type of movement.
If it is persistent and not declining,it is best to rule out a fracture though this is unlikely but as persons age the bone density decreases and a fracture can sometimes occur with minimal impact.
If the pain is decreasing even slightly then the use of anti inflammatory pain medication would be beneficial.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Fell down on hip and lower back. Noticed swelling and getting sharp pain. Any solution? 7 minutes later
It's the stinging that seems odd - there appears to be fluid trapped under the skin and the stinging feels pretty much like bee stings. Could there be nerve damage - or could trapped fluid (haemotoma?) be pressuring the nerve to make it feel like stings?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
A hematoma would normally be associated with overlying discolouration of the skin, unless it is very XXXXXXX Initially the appearance would be blue/black and this would change as the blood breaks down to a yellowish appearance.

Cyst (collection of fluid) can sometimes rarely occur as result of trauma.

If a large mass is present (either blood or a inflammatory cystic collection), then it can compress on any adjacent structures including the the nerves.Normally neuropathy results in abnormal sensations with or without movement. It may also be associated with weakness in the affected limb.

It may be best, if possible, to visit your family doctor for a check up, alternatively you can use a few days of anti inflammatory pain medication.

Please feel free to ask anything else