Fell down on hand. Swelling and red bruise appeared. X-ray showed no fracture. Looking for cure

Jun 2015

I fell on my hand the other day and not thirty minutes later my hand and wrist were all swollen and beginning to get red and bruised. I went to an urgent care who took x- rays and she said there was a possible fracture. She showed me the x- XXXXXXX and I saw a line on my bone myself. They put a tempory cast on and referred me to an orthopedic doctor and I have an appointment on Friday. But out of curiosity I called the urgent care today to see what the radiologist said, and he said there was no fracture. So now I don't know what to think. I am still in a lot of pain but if what the radiologist said was true should I even go to the orthopedic doctor.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Even though the X XXXXXXX report reveals absence of fracture (as reported by the Radiologist) I suggest you to XXXXXXX the Orthopedician.
There can be a minor hairline fracture, which can be missed most of the time.

However, diagnosis of any condition is not given only on the basis of investigation reports.
And as you are still in lot of pain, a visit to the Orthopedician will be better to find out the exact cause of your symptoms, whether it is due to fracture, ligament injury, etc.
Appropriate management plan is to be initiated after taking proper history, conducting a physical examination & then co-relating the findings with the X XXXXXXX report.

So, kindly XXXXXXX the Orthopedic Doctor & discuss regarding the same.

Wishing you a good health.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks and take care.
Follow-up: Fell down on hand. Swelling and red bruise appeared. X-ray showed no fracture. Looking for cure 1 hour later
If it is a hairline fracture or a ligament injury will it be necessary for me to have a cast? I'm just wondering because I have been in this temporary cast and sling and although it helps I also find it a burden especially at work.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 30 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

A cast & sling is applied because of the following reasons:
1. For immobilization of fractures.
2. For providing support to the soft tissues.
3. To provide rest to the part.
4. To help in faster healing of the injuries.

So, even if it causes burden at work, it has to be applied as continuous movement of the hand and wrist will result in further aggravation of symptoms & also delay the healing process.

Further decision of whether to continue it or not will be taken by the Orthopedician after proper examination of your hand.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.