Fell down on hand. No fracture seen on x-ray. Taking ibuprofen. How to get relief from pain?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I fell on my right hand (Foosh, I'm told) and got my arm x-rayed. It showed no fraacture and I've been wearing a splint. I've been taking Aleve OR Ibuprofen but it still hurts so bad it even wakes me up at night. The pain is in my forearm, about 4" from my wrist and especially hurts if I twist my forearm. This was 11 days ago. How long can I expect to hurt like this? At times the pain brings me to tears.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Not only bone can be damaged by trauma. MAny structers which participate in joint function can be injured and not seen on xray. This includes muscles,ligaments, joint cartilage and capsule.Tendon conjuctions can cause pain at any level between elbow and wrist. Also inflammation process can ocuur after every trauma. So any damage of these structure will cause pain,especially during movements, but it should pass in 3-4 weeks.
You need to rest, hold your hand in elevated position and avoid intensive finger movements( mouse clicking etc.). And hold your wrist as your holding tennis ball with palm down.
If you have Diclofenac in your country it would be better for pain than ipubrofen.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"