Fell down on hand. Experiencing pain and noticed swelling over ulna bone. Any thoughts?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I Was running up the stairs with my dog and tripped and my hand landed hard on edge of stairs. I have quarter size swelling of my Hand and over ulna bone as well. now swollen painful today what should I do?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult a doctor nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,elevate the hand, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 400mg to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid liffting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.