Fell down on concrete. Bruise on arm and buttock with swelling and lump. What to do?

General Surgeon
I fell down 6 front steps on black ice a little over 3 weeks ago, landing at the bottom on concrete. I seem to have taken the majority of the impact on my left hip all the way to my tailbone, and scraped and bruised my left arm. My entire left buttocks and hip area bruised and swelled enormously right after. I applied ice for 2 days, and then moved to heat. I can move fine, don't seem to have damaged my spine or hip, but this 6 inch by 6 inch lump has remained on the back of my hip, and it really hurts if I lean on it (such as when driving a car). It's like a shelf of swelling that feels quite hard. I know I should have gone to the doctor, but it didn't seem to get worse as time passed, and the lack of pain while bending, walking, or even rebounding leads me to believe no major injury. What do I do about this lump?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

This lump is most likely a hematoma. This is nothing more than blood collection in the soft tissues. It has appeared due to small vessels rupture during the injury. Such hematoma can remain there for a very long time. Moreover, there is a risk of infection of it what leads to an abscess. That is why it is necessary to drain such fluid collection.
You should definitely visit your doctor, have soft tissues ultrasound of this area and if fluid is present, you should visit general surgeon. It needs to be incised and drained.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.