Fell down on butt. Having pain in hip while walking. Taking ibuprofen. Looking for suggestion

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I fell off a step ladder 2 1/2 weeks ago directly onto my butt. Walking is quite painful in my hips. I've been to a chiropractor. I don't think a doctor can do much. I'm taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours and using a heating pad. Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
If the weight bearing is not painful and you can walk around easily then bony injury is not likely. It seems to be a massage anything on the injured area as it can cause an internal bleeding and hematoma formation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Fell down on butt. Having pain in hip while walking. Taking ibuprofen. Looking for suggestion 47 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. When I rest, with ibuprofen, there is little pain. But as soon as I start moving or putting weight on my legs/hips, the pain gets progressively worse. I am usually very active, but right now I have to walk very slowly and I look like a crippled elderly person. If I pick up or try to carry anything with any weight, the pain gets noticeably worse. The pain is somewhat bearable, but my ability to be mobile is severely hindered. Would you consider this painful weight bearing? If so, any further advice? Thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Gradual increase in pain on weight bearing is likely to be due to a MRI scan done to find out the extent of injury.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Fell down on butt. Having pain in hip while walking. Taking ibuprofen. Looking for suggestion 40 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. That is encouraging. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask another question. I had severe bunyons when I was growing up and had them corrected surgically when I was 16. My 12 year old son now seems to be developing them, and one of his feet has always turned in a little. What would you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Surgical treatment is the best option but it is best if you wait till he is 16 years of age. The treatment depends on the severity of affection.
Best regards.