Fell down on back. Bruise appeared from spine to hip area. How to get relief?

General Surgeon
I fell on my back 3 days ago. It's all black & blue on my right side, from waist to my hip area. The bruising is from my spine to hip area. It hurts, about 5, on a 1-10 scale. Is there anything I can do to ease it. Hot or cold comrpresses?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As this is 3 after the trauma, you can try hot to ease the pain and increase recovery process. Hot baths should be good for it and should relax muscles. You can also try Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (should be taken with Omeprasole 20 mg once a day for stomach protection).
Just note that after such trauma, not everything is visible and there might be a hematoma under bruised skin. If such hematoma is left without antibiotics, its possibility to become an abscess rises. Moreover, there is a possibility of bones fractures even if you do not feel it that way. That is why I suggest you to visit a doctor, have injured area X-rays and ultrasound to rule all possible injuries out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.