Fell down from stairs and vomited. Took motrin for headache. Felt squishy spot on side of head. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter fell down 2-3 stairs yesterday morning. She threw up a bit 5 hours later and we gave her Motrin for her heAdache. She was normal for the rest of yesterday and all of today. I decided to feel for a bump again tonight (7:20pm) the following day, I noticed that there was a squishy spot on the side of her head. Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Head injuries fall into two categories external (usually scalp) injuries and XXXXXXX head injuries, which may involve the skull or the brain.
Fortunately, most childhood falls or blows to the head result in injury to the scalp only, which is usually more frightening than threatening. The scalp is XXXXXXX with blood vessels, so even a minor cut there can bleed profusely. The "goose egg" or swelling that you noticed is the result of the scalp's veins leaking fluid or blood into (and under) the scalp. It may take days or even a week to disappear.
If your daughter is alert and behaving normally after the fall, apply an ice pack to the injured area for 20 minutes. If you use ice, always wrap it in a washcloth or sock; ice applied directly to bare skin can cause cold injury to the skin.

If your daughter shows any signs of XXXXXXX injury like head and neck pain, vomits repeatedly, difficult to awaken, isn't walking normally, then consult a doctor.

In case there is unconsciousness for more than a few minutes, bleeding or clear fluid from the nose, ear or mouth, disturbance of speech or vision, neck pain or stiffness, seizure, then would advice to visit your clinician immediately.
Right now there is nothing to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fell down from stairs and vomited. Took motrin for headache. Felt squishy spot on side of head. Concerned 2 days later
Now it seems that the soft "squishy" spot has gotten larger. She says nothing hurts and we have had no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The slight increase in the size could be due to a small hematoma. You can do a cold compress on the area for next two days and then start with hot compress. Since there are no other symptoms, there is nothing to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.