Fell down from ladder, landed on lower back. Bruise and lump appeared. Cause of concern?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last night, I (32 year old male) fell from the top step of a 6' ladder on my hip/left side of lower back and I have a Half-Softball sized lump now (it was a little bigger last night). I iced for about 30 minutes last night. I think its just a bad bruise as I was able to put my socks on while standing this morning (which I don't think I'd be able to do if something were broken)... but figured it couldn't hurt to check?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 9 minutes later

After reading your symptoms I feel that you just have a bruise along with a mild subcutaneous haematoma which should subside with analgesics(pain killers/anti inflammatory) and cold fomentation (ice), twice daily for a week.

If the swelling does not subside in a weeks time, then you must consult a doctor. In my opinion there's nothing to worry.

Hope you feel better soon.
Follow-up: Fell down from ladder, landed on lower back. Bruise and lump appeared. Cause of concern? 1 hour later
Thank you... one follow-up. I should have mention one other aspect (although I don't think it's inconsistent with your recommendation... but my wife is worried). Walking is very painful, and its the worst after sitting for a while (tightness and pain). I have a pretty severe limp right now.

To be expected, right?
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

If walking is painful, with a limp then its best to take rest for 4-5 days at least.
Let the injury heal. As I mentioned earlier, if the pain persists even after a week then you must visit an orthopedic doctor. Getting an xray done will give a definite diagnosis and alleviate your wife's fears.