Ask a Dentist   »  

Fell down and tooth broke partially. Is it safe to go for root canal treatment?

My 7 Yrs daughter fell down last month and her front tooth (which is a permanent one) got broken (40 % of the tooth lost).
Since Yesterday she is feeling pain in her tooth, when I visit a local Dr, She is suggesting to go for Root Canal Treatment.

Suggest me What are the possible treatments in these kind of situations.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 24 hours later
Hi! Thanks for your query.

At age 7 years, a child's front tooth being broken is a disturbing event. Since it is a permanent tooth, it will require care and proper treatment to preserve it and restore functioning.

You have mentioned, the broken tooth is now causing pain. It is possible that the pulp has been exposed thereby leading to infection and thus the local dentist has suggested Root Canal Treatment (RCT). An IntraOral PeriApical X-ray (IOPA) will further help us to rule out periapical pathology.

In a 7 yr old child, the root apex is not closed. This happens around ten years of age. Therefore, we first perform apexification (closure of the root apex) and then we would perform RCT. Following RCT and stabilisation of the tooth, an acrylic crown may protect the tooth from further infection as well as restore functioning.

I hope that I have addressed your concerns and query adequately.

With best wishes,

Dr (Mrs) Ashu Gupta,
Pediatric Dentist