Fell down and noticed large painful bruise, localised swelling and painless lump. What is this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 13 year old daughter fell and bruised her XXXXXXX in gymnastic class. There was a large painful bruise and localised swelling. All the bruising has resolved but she has been left with a large , painless lump on her XXXXXXX What is this and when will it go away?!
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Usually the bruising heals in about 2-3 weeks of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise last for more than 3 weeks.
A painless swelling at the site of bruise is seen due to fibrosis in the area of injury which gradually subsides without any treatment over 10-12 weeks. The home remedies she can follow are:
1. Hot fermentation 3-4 times a day. Some specialist advises both hot and cold fermentation.
2. Wrap elastic bandage like crepe bandage at the site of swelling. But don't wrap it too tightly.
If there is an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing then you need to consult a physician for proper examination and management. Else, need not to worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.