Fell down and noticed bruise on knee and ankle. Sore to touch. Should I go for medical treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell down carpeted steps 1 week ago. Bruising is down inner calf from below knee to (and including) ankle. My concern is a hard knot about 3 inches below my knee and about the diameter of my kneecap. It is sore to touch but not terribly so. Does not hurt when walking. How long should I wait for it to go down before having it checked?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

A hard knot below your knee with bruise could be due to a haematoma (collection of blood) which is getting organised ( which means fibrous tissue is growing into i to help it heal.

This usually happens when there is a XXXXXXX significant injury to the soft tissues. Most persist for months or years. Some eventually disappear over time, while others either scar over or calicify, leaving a permanent lump.

Rarely they get infected( when it gets red or more tender or bigger), requiring drainage. If they fail to decrease in pain or size over time ( say in a few weeks to about a month), you should have your doctor check them out.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.