Fell down and noticed bluish swelling on hands. How long will it take to get cured?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Last night I fell on the concrete, and it knocked the breath out of me and I landed on my hands my right has scrapes and is swollen, but dosen't hurt, and I can move my fingers just fine. I am hoping the swelling will go down as the skin is tight where the pinkie finger is scrapped up! I went to drug store and go some aniseptic wash and bandaged for my pimkie finger! The swollen area looks a little blue. Do you think this will get well in a few days?
It also knocked the breath out of me.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Considering the details you have provided it does seem that you have bruised your little finger causing swelling and bluish discoloration as well as superficial abrasions ( scraped skin.)
If there is no XXXXXXX injury to the bones or ligaments or vessels ( as suggested by normal painless movement of finger ) then it's very likely that tmyour symptoms should resolve on their own within a few days to a week .
For pain and swelling mild antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen taken thrice daily might help .
However if the discoloration and swelling progresses in the next 48 hours then it's best to consult your doctor and get it thoroughly evaluated to rule out XXXXXXX injury .
You should get it evaluated immediately if the swelling becomes very tense , shiny or tender to touch or there is limitation of movement or spread of pain to the forearm as this could indicate underlying bleeding or fracture .
Meanwhile you should apply a topical antibiotic ointment like mupirocin etc to prevent any infection of the skin and apply ice packs to relieve the swelling .

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for Any follow up queries.