Fell down and landed on knee, hand and chest. Getting pain in chest. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi...I fell the other day and landed on my knee, hand, and chest. I still have pain in my chest on the bone right above my breast - kind of between the breast - not sure if it is called the breast bone or rib cafe area. I don't have any bruising but getting up from a bed and even driving is hard to do without some pain. The bone really hurts! Taking over the counter pain reliever during the day. Should I ice the area or apply heat? THANKS!
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later

From description, it seems soft tissue injury over your breastbone area.

You need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile I advice you -

To give rest to affected area.
Ice the affected area instead of applying heat.
You can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain under supervision of your treating doctor.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Dr Saurabh Gupta