Fell down and landed on hand. Started getting pain in forearm. Fracture or soft tissue injury?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i fell flat on my back last night on a wet surface. i must have landed on my hand or wrist because my ring and pinky finger alternate between cold and tingly and painful, it hurts in my forearm too. i can't support weight in my right hand. cant' open a soda can with it. when i put my arm down, my forearm and hand are sore. could it be broken if it's not excrutiating? can it wait til tomorrow?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
I am Dr.Saurabh Gupta and I am pleased to answer your query.

It might be soft tissue injury,ligament injury or fracture with or witout nerve injury.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult a doctor nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

You can wait till tomorrow.Till then apply ice packs to the affected area,take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta