Fell down and injured right thigh. Developed bruise and bumps. How long will it take to get cured?

Hi I fell very hard and on a ker of the road and banged my right thigh very hard. I developed a lot of brusing and was soer for days, alos noticed a big bump which si slightly smaller now but still hard and painful if I press it. I can walk ok but wondered how long it will takwe for the bum to go away?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It will be nice of you if you mention when this incident took place, whether you got the swelling immediately or later and also the exact location of the swelling.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
From the information that you have provided it appears to be haematoma, is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels. It is quite common following blunt trauma.
Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with rest, ice, compression, elevation of the affected part. The pain of a hematoma is usually due to the inflammation surrounding the blood and may be treated with over the counter pain medications.
I advice you to not to touch the affected part or to press it, it usually resolves within week but it also depends on the size as well. It will be better if you see orthopedic surgeon and go for X XXXXXXX of the affected part to rule out any hairline fracture.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Fell down and injured right thigh. Developed bruise and bumps. How long will it take to get cured? 21 hours later
thanks it was just over a week ago it is getting slightly smaller the swelling was immediate. I have been and bought some Arnica to help with the blood clot, I doubt it is a fracture as although now still uncomfortable it is not really painful. Hoever I porbably did not rest it enough as I was very busy when I did it and so now will try and elevate it.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 15 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
It is great to hear that the information provided by me was helpful. It is good the symptoms are reducing but just for your self you can go x XXXXXXX of the affected area to rule out any hairline fracture.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.