Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?

May 2014

I had a fall recently and hurt my chest, x-ray results came back saying note is made of apical plural thickening bilaterally. I did have Primary T.B when I was about 2-3 years of age, is this related.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common feature of advancing age

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The term apical pleural thickening has been used extensively in radiology to describe a density seen on the chest radiograph located in the extreme apex of the lung.

Although apical caps are similar in appearance, their clinical significance varies
widely. Most are a common feature of advancing age, the result of nonspecific
subpleural scarring and apical pleural thickening.

Such caps occur in asymptomatic individuals and are usually of no clinical importance. This holds good for you.

It is less likely due to primary TB at about 2-3 years of age.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case you have doubts.