Fell down and hit knees, hand, right breast. Pain under breasts. Would icing or heating the area help?

Question
I fell head first a week and 2 days ago...hit my knees ,hand, right breast.I iced knee and hand right away...got bruises on my breast a few days after..... 5 days after the fall my right side near and under my beast started to hurt...(does not hurt when sitting.).(I have been doing all my regular activities )Not sure if I have just bruised my ribs..or breast..or if this is something else...and would like to know if icing or heat would help...and stop activities? Do I need to be seen by my doctor..or should I wait a bit more to see if pain stops?
Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 47 minutes later

You have had a fall a week ago and hit your knees, hand and right breast area.
It is a good thing you had immediately iced the area.

If the bruise is more than 48 hours old, you can apply heat in the form of a warm washcloth applied to the bruise for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day. This may increase blood flow to the bruised area allowing the skin to reabsorb the blood more quickly.
Restrict your activities for a few days.

Also if you feel pain while breathing or coughing, there might be possibility of rib fracture. If there is just pain, which is common in a bruise, it is unlikely to be a fracture.

You can take pain killers like Tablet Aspirin 325 mg six hourly for 5 days along with hot fomentation.
You can wait for a few days. If your symptoms do not subside you will need to see a doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Fell down and hit knees, hand, right breast. Pain under breasts. Would icing or heating the area help? 9 hours later
Hi..Thanks...if this is a fracture...what do I need to do?...I will try try the hot compresses first..Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Radhika 36 hours later
Thanks for the follow up and sorry for the delay.

If there are chances of rib fracture you will need to see an Orthopedician for this. Firstly an x XXXXXXX of the chest needs to be done.Treatment for rib fractures are done by Internal Fixation.

It does seem unlikely unless you have severe pain during breathing or coughing.