Fell down and heard loud pop in neck. No sensation in leg. What is causing this?

Hi, I was playing outside in the snow and I fell down, herd loud snap in my neck. After few min noticed that I can not feel my left leg. Hour and a half later I still can not feel my leg knee down. What can that be?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I think you need medical attention right away.

There are chances that due to fall, there is some injury to cervical spine or back and some nerve compression due to that. Any nerve compression or injury leads to swelling in that area and loss of sensation.

Normally this does not happen in case of trivial trauma; still one has to look for it.

I think you should visit ER and get your self examined for this. Avoid unnecessary movement of neck, do not stretch it.

Seek medical help and get evaluated.

These could be normal and you may recover without doing anything still evaluation is must for proper diagnosis and treatment if necessary.

Ruling out major cervical injury is must.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: Fell down and heard loud pop in neck. No sensation in leg. What is causing this? 15 hours later
Hello. Thank you for your response. The numbness in my leg is gone, but I continue to have some weakness. Otherwise, I have no pain anywhere, including my neck. Should I still see a doctor, a wear a cervical brace? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later

good to hear from you again.

It is good that with passing time you are getting better,it is a good sign which indicates that there less chances of major evident injury.

I think still it is a good idea to see a doctor to have things examined and have a piece of mind that everything is fine.

At present there is no need to wear cervical brace,just avoid forceful and unnecessary movements which might put further strain on it and might add to the problem or delay recovery.