Fell down and got hit on leg. Getting pain and numbness in toes and groin area. Any relief?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi, I fell down my basement stairs about 2 weeks before Christmas and the sole of my left leg was the first thing to hit the floor at the bottom. I thought that the pain in my knee would go away (I used to have sports injuries and thought this seemed similar) anyway the pain is now spreading to my toes and up to my groin with the knee feeling numb on most occassions. I can walk on the leg, but I am limping.I am 70 years hurts mostly at night because I can not get my leg comfortable, it hurts to bend it....
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

Due to the impact of falling on the sole, pain in the knee is commonly seen.

You should give rest to your leg. Hot fomentation and application of pain relieving gel locally will give you some relief. You can apply elastic tubular bandage or knee support to give rest to the knee.

If the pain is severe, you can take painkiller like Ibuprofen one tablet twice a day after meals along with antacid Omeprazole 20 mg under medical supervision.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined and investigated by an Orthopedic surgeon. An x-ray is probably indicated.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.

Regards. Thanks.