Fell down and got hit on elbow. Small hard lump appeared. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My daughter took a hard fall during her indoor soccer game and came down on her elbow. Immediately she has a small (size of a blueberry) hard lump approx 1 inch above her elbow. It is painful to touch. Is it anything to worry about?

Thank you
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture. Small hard lump might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) either due to ruture of microvasculature or bleeding from fracture ends.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. She may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin half tablet with food to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing her seedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon