Fell down and a big knot appeared at hip. Should we go for medical treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my mom is 82 yrs old and fell on her hip and now have a big knot like the size of a big XXXXXXX
she had a thrombectomy in dec.11. since then she has been on warfarin alternating with one and 2 meligrams daily.she has no other visable injuries. the swollen area is still skin colored and is not bruse colored. should we go to doctor or would it be alright to watch it till morning and see if it is worse.she is walking normally.thank you
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Based on your description, I feel your mother might have a soft tissue injury at hip. Deeper bruising resulting in blood collection (hematoma) is possible as she is on warfarin therapy. Although you will not be able to see these bruises, they can still swell and cause pain.

Such soft tissue injuries and XXXXXXX bruising resolve with time. However a visit to a doctor to rule out fractures is advisable. In addition, I also recommend getting her INR ratio checked.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns

Wishing you good health...