Ask a Urologist   »  

Fell down. Noticed damage on foreskin and started bleeding. How to cure this?

Hello, I fell on my bike. nasty fall. During this moment, I have what looks like, i patch of skin missing from the bottom of the shaft of the penis. It did bleed, briefly. Now, 4 days later, it just looks like a carpet burn. What is a proper way to heal this skin. Ive been using polysporin a few times a day, since the accident. the original layer of skin is gone. Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 minutes later
To treat the injured area:-
1)Clean the area with warm saline water twice
2)Apply an antibiotic cream preferably mupirocin or fusidic acid twice to thrice in a day. You may also continue with polysporin, if you do not get either if the above 2.
3)If the area around is swollen and tender, take an antiinflammatory analgesic like Brufen.
4) if the wound develops a yellow base with pus or fluid oozing out then a course of oral antibiotic is required. Tablet amoxycillin clavulinic acid( augmentin) can be taken in adult doses for 5 to 7 days.

It would take around 7 to 10 days for lesion to heal. Treatment should be continued till new skin covers the injured area completely.
Hope that answers your query.
Follow-up: Fell down. Noticed damage on foreskin and started bleeding. How to cure this? 2 hours later
okay, thank you. So just to make sure, the original skin is gone (maybe several layers), nothing there but redness. Just follow what you said? And its on day 4, hope its not uncommon for it take longer than the 10 days. I can't see this healing in 6 days. There is no puss coming from it as described in your 4th statement above nor swelling as in your 3rd statement. Is mupirocin at the local pharmacy, in most cities?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
From the description, your injury seems to be an abrasion or superficial injury.
Just to make you understand in a better way, usually a superficial injury heals with scab frmation, with time when the scab falls the underlying raw red new skin is revealed that with time achieves normal colour, texture and strength of adjacent skin. The process of healing or reepithelialisation may take two weeks to three weeks depending on the area involved.

In your case healing might take 10 days to two weeks but it will heal without any complication as there is no sign of any infection developing.
Just maintain hygiene, keep the area well ventilated.
Do warm compresses followed by application of antibiotics
Do not remove the scab.

If at all signs of infection develop, contact a doctor nearby immediately.
Mupirocin should be easily available. It is quite a good antibiotic with broad spectrum coverage.