Fell down. Noticed bump on metacarpalphalqngeal joint, unable to move finger. What is wrong?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
One more question. Yesterday evening I fell backwards onto my thumb. I har a loud snapping sound. When it occurred I saw a bump occur immediately after at my metacarpalphalqngeal joint. I could not move my finger. I had some edema today and I just looked at my thumb and there is bruising. Fracture, sprain, go to doctor?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
I am Dr.Saurabh Gupta and I am pleased to answer your query.

It might be soft tissue injury,ligament injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, apply ice packs to the affected area, anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

After Xray you can consult me directly through my profile.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon