Fell down. Noticed bruise and swelling. What should be done?

Critical Care Specialist
11 days ago I had a nasty fall with very bad bruising to the whole of my upper leg. The bruising has been dispersing, however now at the actual trauma site it now seems to have swollen up and is sore again.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
thanks for writing to us.
Given your history, its possible that the fall had produced a hematoma (collection of blood under skin or muscle) and bruises, which have slowly got resolved; however your bruises and or hematoma have been secondarily infected by a bacteria.
At this stage, you need an exam by a general physician to find out if there is any pus at this site. If there is, it needs to be drained. In addition, you need to get oral antibiotics. At this stage, you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (with food) [Upto 4 tablets daily].
Hope I answered your question.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Get well soon.