Fell down. Got coccyx contusion. Have swelling and pain. Stopped taking ibuprofen. Any cure?

I fell down some steps went to ER..Nothing broken but contusion on the left side of the upper sacrum/coccyx.
It's been one week now since I fell and although it's slowly getting better it's still's still swollen with a lump and there's a tight feeling .I'm sitting writing this just now and it's painful where the lump is. how long can I expect to have to endure this?? I stopped taking the ibuprofen 800mg
I'm a 55 year old male healthy 5'11 ..180lbs
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later

You mentioned there was a contusion on the left side over sacrum and coccyx.This accumulation of blood (contusion) is painful, as the collected blood irritate the nerves, also there is accumulation of metabolites causing pain (substance P ). Slowly the collection gets absorbed and substance P reduces and you will better.

In addition to ibuprofen, you can do hot fomentation to speed up recovery process:
1 Add a pinch of salt to 2 liters of warm water. You can compress the affected area with a clean cloth or sponge dipped in this water.
2. You can also use hot water bag for plain warm compresses.

Heat will help in dissipating the accumulated metabolites which cause pain and also activate the macrophages. You can expect good results within a week with the above remedy.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask any further doubt.

Follow-up: Fell down. Got coccyx contusion. Have swelling and pain. Stopped taking ibuprofen. Any cure? 5 days later
Many Thanks for your very useful reply Dr XXXXXXX it was most lucid .
The pain is going down greatly ..There is a slight numbness in my right leg , very slight , and it is something I've had before and it decreases with time.
I was wondering if you think it is safe for me to have a theraputic massge?
I have a Korean fellow who is very good and by the time I go there next Monday it will be 17 days since the initial fall.
I am also planning on going to Orthopedics and Sports therapy to pre-emp anything down the line.
Yours Sincerely
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
I am happy my advice helped you a bit.
Yes, you can go for therapeutic massage, but ask the guy to be gentle. Explain the nature and the location of the injury well to him.
Orthopaedic and sports training is a good option. They teach exercises that are beneficial, so attend that.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Fell down. Got coccyx contusion. Have swelling and pain. Stopped taking ibuprofen. Any cure? 8 days later
Hello Thanks for your advice before my backside is much better.
However 2 days ago I walked into a glass door and bumped my forehead.
I'm sure it's not serious but I've had a bit of a headache and a little nauseous.
My walking is fine but the sleep has been affected.. As the bump has left no XXXXXXX and was not from a fall I've not treated it too seriously but I'm probably more vulnerable feeling just now after my last fall! Do you think I need to get it checked out in ER ..My eyes look normal balance.It's mainly just the headache that worries me..Could this just be caused by the jarring of the blow?/
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later

Its pleasure to know that your previous problem is solved to large extent.
Regarding the head injury, although headache is not a significant problem but presence of nausea would be concerning.

Usually nausea happens if there is accumulation of blood in the brain. I would advice you to undergo a CT scan of brain. X XXXXXXX won't be of any help.

It doesn't look like a big problem, but it is always good to rule out certain XXXXXXX things like blood collection in brain.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Follow-up: Fell down. Got coccyx contusion. Have swelling and pain. Stopped taking ibuprofen. Any cure? 5 hours later
Hi many Thanks it's the second night and there is no nausea at all now just a mild headache . I would get a CT scan if it was getting worse even though I am loath to because of the heavy bombardment of xrays that would involve. Sometimes I feel in the USA we use every means to explore and reveal problems and then do something and this causes more problems than letting nature take its course.
As there is no bump and only slightest twinge of headache I think I might follow that latter course. Are there any symptoms I should be looking for?

I agree with you. Unnecessary investigations must be avoided.

If you don't have any other symptoms apart from headache, we can watch and monitor the progress of your symptoms. Please look out for the following:
1. Loss of consciousness.
2. Weakness in any part of body.
3. Sudden black outs.
4. Nausea or vomiting.

The above are indicators of serious concern. Your are most likely to develop it in the next few days. If you don't have any of these, you are safe.

Thank you