Fell down. Getting pain in calf, numbness in heel and walking difficulty. Could it be achilles tear?

playing basketball i jumped and came down on my heel as normal but my right calf had an immediate pain and my heel went numb. My calf is tensed in a position as if i were posing like a body builder. There is slight swelling and minimal range of motion especially difficult is walking. Did i tear my achilles or tear my calf muscle?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 59 minutes later

More likely is that you injured your Achilles's tendon.Muscle injury generally is rare.After tendon injury generally muscle goes into spasm, that you are feeling tenseness in calf.Treatment advised would be rest, ice application , compression and pain killers. If needed muscle relaxants can be taken. To know extent of severity of injury sonography and more desirable MRI can be undertaken.

Seeing a doctor would be ideal step.This may need long term treatment and observation for proper healing. In advanced cases limb cast and surgery may be advised.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.