Fell and landed on back. Noticed redness and bruise around shoulder blades. Should I go to ER?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I slipped and fell last night, and landed on my back on the stairs. I immediately got up and started icing it. This morning it is a lot worse...I can barely sit up or stand up or walk. The area of my back I fell on is around my shoulder blades. It's all red and kind of bruised. Should I go to a doctor or the E.R?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Since there is an extreme pain on weight bearing and an extensive bruise in the area is present, a bone injury in the area of fall is likely.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing.
3. Absolute bed rest is advisable.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.