Fell and hit head and tail bone, ct-scan ok, pain in the head continues.Please help.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi I fell about two weeks ago off of a chair and hit my head and my tail bone. I did ct-scan on my head the next day and it was ok i did pt on my back but told to do water aerobic. My concern is the pain in my head. I'm however coherent but the pain is bad
What shall I do
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Have you had any nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness or memory loss after your head injury ?

Has an X-ray been taken of your tail bone ?

After sustaining head injury due to fall it is important to take a Brain CT to look for any possible bleeding or injury to vital structures. Since your CT Scan was clear, not to worry for now.

You may have sustained a concussion which is a mild form of brain injury. The symptoms you are experiencing now is possibly Post-concussion syndrome. It consists of headache, nausea, sensitivity to light, ringing sensation in the ears, cognitive disturbances, restlessness and behavioral changes. This can last for weeks to months as well.

Treatment for this condition includes preferably non-narcotic pain killers for the headache. Anti-depressants have a good role in reducing the headache of Post-concussion syndrome. Also you need to take care to avoid sudden movements of the head and neck as this can aggravate the headache.

Kindly consult your Doctor in this regard for appropriate therapeutic method to relieve you of your headache.

Aerobic exercise is indicated for pain due to injury to tail-bone. It will help strengthen the muscles and ligaments holding it in place and also help reduce the pain and facilitate faster healing. Avoid sitting on hard surfaces and also sitting for long periods of time. Take short walks to improve muscle strength.

Have a balanced diet. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.