Fell and got wound which bled. Need of tetanus injection?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my spouse fell inside a bus she got a wound on her XXXXXXX which bled a bit, she was wearing jeans which did not tear.Does she need a tetanus injection
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Broadly speaking, Not necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Generally, wounds contaminated with gravel, mud or dust (which are usually seen in road traffic accidents) are more prone to develop tetanus as the bacteria is present in them.

Clean wounds or cuts most propably won't require a anti tetanus injection. But to be on the safter side, better to take a single shot (as there is no harm in taking) so as to avoid even the minutest possibility of acquiring tetanus. I think you have got my point.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Fell and got wound which bled. Need of tetanus injection? 13 minutes later
Does your answer change if the wound was a bit deep
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deeper the wound, the more is risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Deeper wounds exposing the underlying tissues like fat or muscles are more prone and are at risk for tetanus infection than superficial wounds like simple abrasions.

If your spouse has sustained injury due to a metal object or by falling on untidy or dirty surface, then its always better to take a anti tetanus shot within 24 hours preferably.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day