Feels like swollen glands on each side of lower spine. Have hip and joint pain. Are these actually glands?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have what feels like swollen glands on each side of my lower spine. I have hip and joint pain. At times my hip joint will pop with each step I take. Are these actually glands?? The pain is making me very irritated.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They could be Fibro-Fatty nodules and not glands.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Most propably, what you feel like swollen glands could be FibroFatty nodules which are present in the lower back and are commonly associated with chronic back pain. Multiple puncturing of the nodules and deep massage chiropractic therapy will help in improving the back pain.

And your ocassional pop in the hip joint could be due to Snapping Hip which can be dealt with medication and ice to relieve the pain, stretching and strengthening exercises, and modification of the activities that caused the symptoms. An injection of cortisone to the area where the tendon inserts into bone may be helpful.

A detailed clinical examination and an MRI scan of the Hip joint is needed to establish the exact diagnosis.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further