Feels like something stuck in throat. Not cured by omeprazole. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist
Question
5 days ago I felt like something was stuck in my oesophagus. I had eaten my food very quickly that evening and part of the meal was fish. I don't have any acid reflux, heartburn or stomach ache and don't feel in any way ill. I am very pretty, competing in athletics and also eat very healthily, drinking only small amounts of alcohol. On Thurs evening my Doctor prescribed omaprozole as she agreed that I may have scratched the lining so she thought this medication would allow the area to heal. It doesn't seem any better and am now getting quite worried.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Though you are fit and do not have symptoms like heartburn, it could still be a symptom of acid reflux disease. Continue taking tablet omeprazole twice a day before food. The feeling of something stuck in the throat is called globus phrayngeus and acid reflux disease is one of the causes.

If you have pain in the throat and also pain while swallowing then there are chances of fish bone getting stuck in the throat. Examination of the throat by an ENT doctor/Gastroenterologist is recommended. They will use an endoscope/laryngoscope to look in to your throat to see if any fish bone is stuck.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Feels like something stuck in throat. Not cured by omeprazole. Worrisome 2 hours later
Hello Dr. Kini,

I have been taking the medication for 5 days now and feel no difference at all, should I have felt some benefit by now? It feel more towards the middle of my oesophagus not my throat although I have had the feeling it has moved around. I can't concentrate on anything I am so concerned.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Yes, you should have felt some benefit by now.
Since you did not find any relief, I would suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for an upper GI endoscopy .

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini