Feels like skin tag on inside of cheek. How to get relief?

I have what seems to be a skin tag on the inside of my right cheek, near the level where my teeth connect when my mouth is shut. It's the same color as the rest of the inside of my mouth and looks almost as if it could've come from me biting my cheek a few too many times. It hurts slightly to move it and just showed up today. What is it and how can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 22 minutes later
Hello there.

The "skin tag" which you mentioned is in fact the mucosa or inner lining of your oral cavity that is protruding due to cheek bite. Usually this area becomes inflammed and starts aching with movements of your jaw. The problem can be resolved by taking an analgesic like brufen for 3 to 4 days.

However it is important to know that at your age, the wisdom teeth would not have completely erupted and often these dont grow correctly due to local factors like lack of sufficient space.

It is prudent to get an X XXXXXXX of the teeth right at the back, ie the molars to know if the alignment is correct. This will help you in understanding the problem of your cheek bite better. This is because cheek bites occur more frequently if there is misalignment of teeth. You should visit a dentist for an oral cavity examination and the appropriate X rays.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.