Feels like room is spinning and have dizziness. Could I ask a doctor?

feeling dizzy went standing up room is spinning continues after laying down
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vertigo needs workup, Symptomatic treatment Detailed Answer: Hello Patty! I went through your query. I believe its the flu you had a shot for which resulted in vertigo. Viral infection are very common for Vertigos. But we will talk about all the possible etiologies for it possible. you need some vestibular suppressants for symptomatic treatment. You may ask your doctor about cinnarazine and/or Betahistine like medicines for immediate relief. some antiviral medication, and some antiemetic medications. I suggest salt restriction and diuretic group of medicines for vertigo there are some other options which you may consider from like antihistamines, benzodiazepines, phenothiazines, monoaminergic agents, and anticholinergic agents. But more importantly you need to know the reason for your this vertigo. vertigo has many causes.Inner ear diseases like meniere disease is one of them, But more common are history of falls or headaches and migraines. answer some of my questions first. -Do you have light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, floating, or a tilting sensation? -Do you have any viral infection history in near past? -Do you experience any hearing loss in affected ear or opposite one? -How long does the sensation persists? is it for seconds only or associated with head or body position changes or last for hours? -was the vertigo sudden in onset? -Do you have any history of migraine headaches, cold sores or viral illnesses? -Did you take any medicine or recreational drug in recent past? -DO you drink or smoke? -How old are you?(old people vertigo above 40 years is more serious. you will need a thorough physical examination like vestibular exams,(ositioning,caloric testings,posture and gait testing etc) and vestibular stress exams, some hyperventilation exams. electronystagmographies,rotating chair test,computerized dynamic posturography etc to rule out any serious underlying trouble. Mean while i would recommend signing up to some vestibular rehabilitation programs for their promising results. Hope i was of some help. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, I would love to answer. Otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good luck and take some every good care of yourself. Regards Dr Khan