Ask a Urologist   »  

Feels like passing acid instead of urine. What can I use to calm my skin? Suffering from colitis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
it feels as if I am passing acid in stead of urine, what can I use to calm my skin down ???
I'm 73 female and suffer from a form of colitis from which I am recovering from a very nasty flare up.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The feeling of burning while passing the urine might be due to more acidic nature of the urine.
To prevent this, take more and more fluids per day.
Avoid acidic fruit juices like lime juice, orange juice, etc.
Plenty of cranberry juice will help in reducing the symptoms.
Examine the external genital area carefully for any injury and rashes. Applying hydrocortisone based antiseptic cream can relieve such rashes.
If the symptoms do not improve you can get your ultrasound scan done to rule out any possibility of renal or ureteric calculus.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.