Feels like nose is blocked and not able to breath. Concerned

ENT Specialist
i feel like my nose is blocked and not able to breathe
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If your nose is severely blocked, you may use a few drips of an OTC nasal decongestant drop such as Otrinoz or Otrivin. The action of these drops usually lasts for 10-12 hours. There may be some rebound congestion after this time. Do not use these drops for more than two weeks continuously.

2. Start an anti-allergic and an anti-leukotriene such as Monatir FX or Rupanex M once a day . A Steroid nasal spray such as Nasonex (Mometasone) should be started once a day in each nostril. Kindly take these medications under the strict care of a doctor.Take a trial of these medicines for at least 15 days.

3. Regular steam inhalation will also help.

4. There is no cure for allergy. However it may be controlled.

5. You have a dust allergy which is a non specific inorganic allergy. It is very difficult to avoid dust. However using a mask at times will help reduce your exposure to fine dust.

6. Get a nasal examination and a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal sinuses) done to rule out a DNS (Deviated Nasal septum), Hypertrophied Nasal Turbinated, Nasal Polyps and Sinusitis. These are the most common causes of nasal obstruction

7. Do you have sneezing, nasal discharge or eye symptoms? Do you snore in your sleep? Is your nose obstructed at all times or intermittently?

8. You may follow up here with your test results.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.