Feels like itching and getting rashes on hands and legs. lot of heat coming out from body. How to overcome this?

Dec 2013

Once in a day I feel like itching for 10 to 15 mins, at this time I am getting rashes on my hands and legs. At this time I also feel like a lot of heat is coming out of the body. After 15 mins everything becomes normal. This is happing from last 2 months.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Urticaria or simply known as hives

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can make the best possibility of Urticaria or simply known as hives.

To tell you simply- Our blood contains mutiple type cells including red blood cells and white blood cells. Specifically these white blood cells provide immunity to our body which are of further mutiple types.

Whenever anything in body is not suitable or offending to body then the number of white blood cells increases transiently. Particularly these cells which increase are eosinophils and basophils which are also known as mast cells. These cells contains granules which contains histamine. So as soon as these offending factors come in contact there is bursting of the mast cells. There fore this histamine is released and we experience itching and rashes and warmth for a very transient period of few minutes. It can last for few hours too depending on the intensity of the offending factor.

Now the type of offending factor are innumerable including our food, environmental factors including temperature variation, heat, humidity, cold, dust and even simple of fragrances in air and mutiple of other related things.

In yourself as you mentioned you feel only for 10-15 minutes in day so most probably it may be related to environmental factors or may be food too. You check out for any change in all the factors during preceding last two hours before the rash.

For the treatment part - it is quite simple and treated with drugs which inhibits the histamine release also known as Antihistamines. You can take loratadine or levocetrizine which are most favored drugs for the treatment. You can start with one tablet per day and can increase upto 3 times if three is less benefit.

The problem resolves by itself in short period of time of few weeks to months so do not worry about the same.

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD - Dermatology