Feels like heart skipped beating. What is the reason and treatment?

My heart has skipped beats since I was in my 20's. My doctors have never seemed too concerned about it. It continues to do so into my fifties now, and it seems that the skips are "harder", that is, sometimes I feel a thud in my chest.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
Your or my heart beats for about 100,000 times a day (72x60x24) that would mean 2.3 billion times an average life time. And, 1% of those that is about 1000 per day can beat out of rhythm. Some are more perceptive as you are therefore perceive these as skipped beat. And doctors were right they tried for you to not to worry for last 30 years. Now they are harder because now heart has beaten for almost a billion and half times. That calls for visit to your doctor who can get two tests done echocardiography-Doppler & Holter after thorough physical examination. If your heart function is normal and arrhythmia(skipped beats-beating out of rhythm) is benign then you can ignore them for at least few decades more. If something is amiss, cardiologist is there to take care of that. If you have any more followup question, I will be only too happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW