Feels like blood is pulsating while waking up in morning. Feeling uncomfortable. How to stop this?

I am 61 years. Sometimes as soon as I wake up in the morning I get this awful feeling all over my body. It feels like my blood is pulsating. It is so uncomfortable. I get up so it stops. What is this? Is it some sort of hot flash?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I do understand your concern.
I would agree that this feeling could be due to hot flashes. However, if you feel your heart racing or beating uncomfortably, then we should be thinking of other causes as well. We should be looking at anxiety, dehydration, or possibly even heart disease. To help guide you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. How much water do you drink in a day?
b. Do you have any family history of heart disease?
c. Is this sensation accompanied by chest pain or tightness or squeezing sensation in the chest?
d. have you ever been diagnosed with any other illness or are you taking any medication right now?
If this is actually a hot flash, the following things would help:
a. Having foods XXXXXXX in estrogen, like soy products.
b. Exercise regularly for 30-40 minutes every day
The only real treatment for this is giving an estrogen-progesterone supplement. But these have been associated with an increase in the risk of heart attacks, stroke and cancer. So we would have to strongly consider the risk benefit ratio.
Hope that helps