Feels heart skips a beat

i also sometimes feel like my heart skips a beat
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

It seems that we have not received your complete query.

Based on the minimal history provided it seems that you might be having anxiety issues and related palpitations.

Please provide additional information regarding presence of any of the following signs and symptoms.

Do you have ‎Dizziness, Light Headedness, “weak spells”, fainting‎

Do you have ‎“Pounding in the chest”, Palpitations, Fluttering or Flip Flop‎

‎Do you have any Chest Pain, Tightness, Heaviness in the Chest, Indigestion-Like Pain

Do you have Shortness of Breath, Sensations of Choking, Intermittent Jaw Pain, Tingling Arm‎

Have you ever been told that you have: High Blood Pressure, , Heart Infection, Heart Murmur?

Have you ever had very rapid heart beating that has begun and ended for no apparent reason?

Has anyone in your family died before the age of fifty from a heart condition for which no cause was found?

It would help me immensely to give you a proper information if you can provide a complete medical history and attach any medical reports if available.

I shall advice you accordingly once the complete history is available.

Waiting for your response

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: Feels heart skips a beat 2 hours later
ello i am writing againg and at this point writing on a daily basis. i have an problem for sometime now i have a feeling of tightness in the chest burning shortness of breath burping nausea. last year i was diagnosed with gerd. in the november of last year i had event monitor stress test echo.i also had a repeat echo and ekg in may of this year . i have a constant fear its my heart. do i need to to any further testing, and how often u should be going to a often there can be any changes. and second portrays to my stomach issues, my doc didnt want to do any colonoscopy she gave me prevacid but i havent taking it. is there a chance of cancer in my age.last year i had an ultrasound of my pancreas nad my bowels it was normal. sorry that my first q was not complete

i laso feel flutters in my heart and like it skips a beat

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 48 minutes later

Thanks for the additional history.

Your symptoms of chest pain, difficulty breathing and nausea are most probably caused by gastroesophageal reflux disorder and gastritis.

The best way to control these symptoms would be lifestyle changes with the following tips. ‎

‎1. Change and develop good dietary habits including, eating several small meals daily.‎

‎2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods. ‎
‎ Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods. ‎
‎ Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking. ‎
‎ Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates), ‎
‎ Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.‎

‎3. Adopt proper posture.‎

‎4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising ‎the head of your ‎bed six to ten inches.‎

‎5. Maintaining adequate hydration. ‎

‎6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.‎

‎7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant. ‎

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you can try the following medications to reduce your ‎‎symptoms as follows. ‎
‎1. antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be continued to relieve the acidity. ‎
‎2. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation, ‎
‎3. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve digestion.‎
‎4. Pepto bismol – to relieve any abdominal discomfort. ‎
5. In addition you should continue the Prevacid prescribed by your doctor. This medication is helpful to reduce the acid secretion and hence your symptoms.

With regard to your question of cardiac problems, "I am definitely sure that you do not have one". You seem to have undergone extensive testing previously. Most of the tests are very good and would definitely rule out any heart related condition if present. There is no need for additional testing in that front. Since the EKG and the ECHO have been normal there is no need to worry about any cardiac conditions.

"With regard to the possibility of cancer, the answer is again NO". The ultrasound done the previous year, definitely rules out cancer.

You might consider consulting your primary physician or a gastroenterologist who after a physical ‎‎examination may determine to get additional tests including : ‎
‎1. tests to detect H-Pylori infection in the stomach ‎
‎2. a Upper GI endoscopy - For diagnosis of GERD, gastritis and Peptic ulcer disease
‎3. Barium study and Ph study of the esophagus - to confirm GERD.

I hope this helps.‎

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.