Feels dizzy when gets up. Has black outs. What to do?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi Doctor
my 19 year old daughter says that for the past few days, when she gets up she feels dizzy and has XXXXXXX black outs as she describes them. She is however very healthy but has a very busy life style
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 35 minutes later
Dear Sir
Hello & wishing you a speedy recovery to your daughter

I have gone through your daughter's history given by you - sudden onset dizziness & XXXXXXX blackouts in a young active girl needs further investigations & treatment

I will suggest the following

1. check her pulse , blood pressure , fasting blood sugar,serum sodium / potassium to rule out hypoglycemia/hypotension as a cause for giddiness

2. start with anti-vertigo medications under supervision with a physician . as she might be having benign positional vertigo

3. MRI BRAIN /MRI CERVICAL SPINE may be done if above all is normal, to see any intra-cranial cause for dizziness

4. patient is advised to take complete rest also. If she is overworked

I hope this answers all your queries

Dr Praveen k Nath XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon