Feels agitated, head blocking, suddenly kicking and clutching his head. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I would like to get your opinion on a boy aged 8, who was perfectly healthy and doing all normal things a boy of this age would do,but in the last 12 months or so all of a sudden he gets agitated- stamping on the floor/holding his head-blocking his ears with fingers, and while in bed at night asleep, suddenly kicking and clutching his head,this passes after 2/3 mins, we`re just back from holiday and I experienced this first hand, as his 3 siblings and him, took turns sleeping with myself & my wife,apart from this he is very active playing all kinds of sports/games, doing well at school etc.Your views on this would much appreciated,
Sincerely, XXXXX
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 59 minutes later
I can understand that your kid otherwise normal except for the possible night terrors.
It is absolutely normal to get such terror panics at night.
It happens in deep sleep or when someone is in bad dreams.
Do not worry it should pass off sooner.
If the issue persists for long, do consult your pediatrician for a complete checkup.
Make sure he does not have problems at school.
Talk to his friends, teachers to know any deviation from his routine behavior.
Hope your kid gets well soon.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Feels agitated, head blocking, suddenly kicking and clutching his head. What could this be? 49 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Your answer to my query on 8 year old was not satisfactory as you did not deal with why boy gets behavoural bouts during "DAYTIME" as well as nighttime, it can not be he gets this way maybe while sitting having a meal or normal activities,
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

Sorry, I didn't get that your son had behavior problem in the daytime too.

If so, I think you should definitely consult child psychologist.

Behavior disorders have to be dealt carefully. It may take 2 or 3 sessions with your child psychologist to understand the root cause.

Medically I would like your kid tested for basic problems like anemia and lead toxicity.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Dr Arun