Feeling whirling sensation when standing and sleeping. On medicine for low BP. What is causing this?

May 2013
Hello Doctor,

my mother is feeling frequent sense of whirling (both in standing and sleeping position). She is 54 years old with a hieght of 4.11 in. weighing around 55 kgs. She is using medication for low Blood Pressure. Recent visit to cardiologist was fine with ECG and BP normal.

what could cause sense of whirling and whom should we approach (carido/neuro or a physian)

Thanks a lot for your help
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later

according to your description the possibilities are,

-cervical spondylosis: it is a disorder that affects the joints of cervical spine because of chronic wear,
it can presents with symptoms like neck pain, stiffness, giddiness, head ache, loss of balance etc,
this can be usually seen in old age and precipitated by overweight.

-as side effects of drugs using,

-fluctuations in blood sugar levels etc

so you better consult neurologist to rule out cervical spondylosis first which is common at her age group.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.