Ask a Dentist   »  

Feeling weakness and pain in jaw and gums. Suggest some effective medicine

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I feel my lower jaw has become bit week and so few teeth. If i touch few teeth, I feel as if it loosens a bit. While doing brush also I find mild pain. Please suggest me some medications,where the tooth gum can become stronger.

Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 36 minutes later

After reading your symptoms and history, I feel quite certain that you are suffering from a condition called Periodontitis i.e.: inflammation of the gums along with loss of underlying bone resulting in loosening of teeth.

Ideally, there are no medications that strengthen the gums. You need to visit a dentist for a XXXXXXX scaling to remove the debris, which gets accumulated between the tooth and gums resulting in further degradation of gums. Once the cleanup is done and the bleeding reduces, a non-surgical placement of antibiotics can be done by a gum surgeon/periodontist to reduce infection further.

I would recommend you to get a full mouth x-ray done (OPG - Orthopantogram) and visit a periodontist for examination and treatment as just medication may not work.

Hope this answers your query. Do write back if you have more concerns.
Follow-up: Feeling weakness and pain in jaw and gums. Suggest some effective medicine 24 minutes later
Thanks for the response doctor. As I mentioned earlier, the clean up that you are advising I have done once in past and I felt instaed of strengthing the teeth, it made weaker. Because the pressure they applied on the tooth, it made a lot of bleeding also.

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 49 minutes later

I do understand what you felt about the bleeding and the loosening of teeth. But the bleeding is more because the gums are unhealthy. Once the XXXXXXX scaling is done then in 2-3 days time bleeding stops completely as the gums heal.

The teeth feel loose as usually in such cases the teeth are surrounded by calculus i.e.: dirt and once the dirt goes it feels that the support is gone as the dirt is holding the teeth. However, in the long run it forms a vicious circle as dirt spoils the gums.

I would strongly recommend you to visit a gum specialist i.e.: periodontist for clinical examination and treatment.