Feeling weakness after virus attack. Started sweating, sore gums and headache. Blood test done. Any ideas?

hi there ,

I had been sick for about 2 weeks ago with the virus . Once that had stoped i have lost all engery completely . can not excercise for more than 10 mins, can not stop sleeping and even the littlest chore is too much for me .
i have a bit of a sore though not flemmy though and a annoying couch that just dosent go away . i am hot and clumy and then get chills
i have had sweats in my sleep ( very bad ones ) for about 2 weeks , Very dizzy . sore gums . and a headache
i have to lumps on my nexk and they have been scanned and are not anythig bad , i had a blood test yesterday and results come back tomorrow . any idea what this could be ? Thnaks
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 34 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Viral infections do take a while to completely get out of your system. Though the initial fever and symptoms do come down in about one or two weeks time, the lack of energy and tiredness can persist upto 3 weeks.

The lumps on your neck, might be due to lymph nodes which enlarges in size when you have an infection etc. And since it has been scanned too, there is no need to worry about the lumps.

Other causes of night sweats are infections. cancers, hypoglcemia (low blood sugar levels) ,thyroid disorders etc.

Let us wait for your blood test results. Meanwhile relax and try not to be anxious.
The important thing to do is relax, take a break from exercise for a week, drink plenty of warm fluids. Rehydrate and Replenish your body. Eat healthy food including fresh fruits and vegetables.

Do warm saline gargles three times a day ( that might help reduce sore throat).

Do steam inhalation three times a day (that might help reduce the cough).

If your blood tests come back as normal, that is a good thing. You should feel better in a week or two. Your symptoms of low energy levels, might just be a sequelae of the viral infection.

Hope this helps.

In case you don't have any further queries,kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan.
Follow-up: Feeling weakness after virus attack. Started sweating, sore gums and headache. Blood test done. Any ideas? 3 minutes later
Thankyou for your answers . How ever i have also been told and reserched that this could be glandular fever ? all symtoms match up ?

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 15 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Glandular fever is a viral infection caused by the Epstein Barr virus. It is a self limiting infection and resolves in about 2-4 weeks.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan