Feeling weakness after eating or working. Body getting numb and freezing. What is going on?

My wife has been ill for over 2years now. After she has a meal or does any moderate activites she will lose all strength in her body and becomes numb and her body will have seizuries during this, she has a feeling of weakness in her stomach and has a rise in her body tempature then can become freezing later. When this happen's the only thing that takes her out of this is to have some chocolate and lay still for awhile. What is going on? They have found low iron and white blood cells and natrium is low. After she has had a meal she feels high and unfocused. This happens everyday. How can we test for glycogen disease.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I can understand your concern about the problem your wife is experiencing. Some of her symptoms may be related to low iron levels that could indicate anemia. Cause of anemia could be any number of things. These include slow blood loss from the digestive tract or kidney or uterine problems in women. The fact that after eating chocolate she feels better indicates she may have some problem with her blood sugar levels fluctuating.
One of the conditions that is associated with this is a tumor that involves the pancreas which produces insulin. "Insulinoma" is a tumor of the pancreas which produces excessive amounts of insulin. This is more common in women and good news is 90% of these are non-cancerous. This causes low blood sugar. The diagnosis is made by simultaneously measuring blood sugar and insulin levels. A low blood sugar with a high insulin level confirms this. I recommend that your wife see an endocrinologist who can advice.
Wish your wife well.