Feeling weak, sleepy and fever. Should I go to emergency room?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I live in China and a Chinese friend is visiting me for a few days. About 16 hours ago she started feeling very weak. She slept on and off most of the afternoon. She has had fever some, but no other symptoms. She feels so weak that she can hardly stand. She is a 21 year-old very healthy young woman. Is there something I can do for her or should I take her to the hospital?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It appears that your friend might be having a mild viral infection. The following things should make her feel better:
a. Give her tablet paracetamol 400 mg as and when required ( upto 4 times daily). This needs to be taken with food. This will relieve the chilly feeling and fatigue.
b. Have a hot water shower and drink plenty of warm fluids.
c. Eat small, home cooked meals at regular intervals. Also, drink atleast 2-3 litres of lukewarm water in a day. This should help take care of the fatigue.
d. Simply rest for 1-2 days and she should be good.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you need to consult a physician for detailed examination and investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.